Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Don't tell Martha Stewart




So, we've been having a bit of a problem with our bathroom decor lately. Our theme was a rubber duckie theme and it really was a cute idea, but several things happened that made it not so nice any more. First of all, Ethan wanted to play with the rubber ducks in his bath and I was glad to let him since they are bath toys, after all. The only problem with rubber ducks is that you can NEVER get all of the water out of them at the end of the bath, so all of them were growing mold on the inside, so we we had to throw most of them away. Then the Trash can got cracked down the side, so it was no good any more. Then Ethan decided that he wanted to play with the soap dish and the toothbrush holder, which were not meant to be played with and he broke both of them.On top of everything else, the shelf we have for holding various things had metal bars going across for the shelves instead of a solid surface so any time the shelf was bumped in any way, all of the bottles and such would come crashing down, which was pretty frustrating. It was becoming clear to me that I needed to re-do the bathroom to be not as breakable. The big problem is that Matt is Student Teaching this semester and not working, so we are living on a very tight budget. I started looking around and I finally decided on a Hawaiin themed bathroom. I know Martha Stewart would just faint away dead if she saw it, but I think it turned out really nice, Matt loves it, and it is pretty well unbreakable. I found most of the stuff at Party stores since people like to do luau themed parties and the rest I found on clearance at Walmart, since they were clearing out the summer stuff for the new fall stuff.

No comments: